Around the Diocese of Orlando | Orlando
UCF GRAD ENTERS THE NOVITIATE
• Legacy Planning Series: Thursdays, March 17 and 24, 10-11 a.m., St. Patrick Parish, 6803 Old Hwy. 441 Mount Dora. March 17, taxes and estates; March 24, Catholic funeral rites and inheritance. [email protected], 352-383-8556.
• Virtual Mental Health First Aid for Youth: Identify, understand, and respond to signs of mental illness and substance use disorders with training from Catholic Charities of Central Florida Behavioral Health and Senior Wellness Services. All training is virtual. To register, email [email protected]
• Senior Symposium: Saturday, March 19, 9 a.m. to noon, Blessed Trinity Parish, 4545 Anderson Rd., Orlando. Dedicated to all seniors in the Diocese of Orlando, covering topics such as the Catholic Living Will, information about substitute health care, and Catholic funeral services. Check-in begins at 8:30 a.m. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/senior-symposium-tickets-238447842917. For more information, contact us at [email protected] Contact Tomás Evans at 407-246-4912.
• Virtual Adult Mental Health First Aid (for adults working with adults): Monday, March 21, 12 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., virtual.
• Building assignments: The Office of Missions is looking for construction volunteers for its mission trips in the Sister Diocese of San Juan de la Maguana. The mission is building 35 houses in La Cueva. Contact the mission office at 407-246-4890, or email Zwamy Parra at [email protected]
• Discipleship Training Certification Program: Saturday – Various dates, morning and afternoon sessions. Adult education opportunity for parishioners and anyone involved in ministry. To find available courses and dates in your deanery, go to https://www.orlandodiocese.org/ministries-offices/laity-family-and-life-secretariat/adult-ministry/forming-disciples-certification-program/ or call 407-246-4912.
• Rise Up Men Conference – Put on the Armor of God: Saturday, March 26, 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., St. Mary Magdalen Parish, 861 Maitland Avenue, Altamonte Springs. Conference for Catholic men with dynamic talks, music, Mass and the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Based on Ecl 4:12 – “Where one can overcome, two together can resist.” Offered in English, Spanish and Portuguese. $25, lunch included. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2022-catholic-mens-conference-riseup-tickets-211145561057
• Monthly Memorial Mass: Friday, March 25, 8 a.m. Liturgy of the Hours, 8:30 a.m. Mass, Mary, Chapel of the Mother of God, San Pedro Spiritual Development Center, 95 Bishop Grady Ln., Winter Park. The Memorial Mass includes a special intercession for those buried at the Queen of Angels Cemetery since the previous Memorial Mass and for deceased diocesan priests and deacons who are remembered during this month.
• Rosary: After daily Masses, Monday through Friday at 8:30 a.m., St. Jude Parish, 443 Marion Oaks Dr., Ocala. Come experience the power of the Rosary as we pray in community. 352-347-0154
PARISH AND SCHOOL EVENTS
• March of the Friends of the Poor: Saturday, March 19, 8 a.m. to 11 a.m., Fort Mellon Park, Pavilion 1, 600 E 1st St., Sanford. Organized by the Conference of the Society of Saint Vincent de Paul at All Souls Parish. runsignup.com
• Parents of dependent loved ones (PAL): Mondays, 5:30-7 p.m., St. James Cathedral, 215 N. Orange Ave., Orlando; Thursdays, 6-7:30 p.m., St. Thomas Aquinas Medical Clinic, 510 Brown Chapel Rd., St. Cloud. PAL is a parent support group helping parents. Weekly meetings provide education and support, at no cost, to parents who are dealing with a child struggling with substance abuse or addiction. PAL is useful for parents, spouses and other sober family members (18 years or older). We understand that everyone takes this journey at their own pace. At PAL, you will learn that you are not alone. Come and discover that there is hope. Julia Hayden, [email protected], 518-951-9610.
• Divine Will Prayer Group: Wednesday, March 23, 6:30-8 p.m., Corpus Christi Chapel, 1050 Celebration Ave., Celebration. Join others who anticipate the fulfillment of the Lord’s Prayer, “Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven” through the study and practice of living in the divine will. We believe that acting on God’s will is the supernatural solution to healing our fallen world. In it, we no longer rely on human will for resolutions, but on divine will alone. David Russell, 863-353-1673.
• Coastal tours for life: Saturday, April 9, 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., Father Lopez Catholic High School, 3918 LPGA Blvd., Daytona Beach. Host a 5k to help the Knights of Columbus raise money for ultrasound machines in Florida, $35. https://runsignup.com/Race/FL/ DaytonaBeach/LapsforLife5KinDaytonaBeach 2022.
SAN PEDRO RETREAT
The following are offered at the San Pedro Spiritual Development Center at 95 Bishop Grady Ln., Winter Park (same location, new address) – https://www.sanpedrocenter.org/upcoming-events:
• Vivet — Adoration of Youth and Young Adults: Tuesday 15 March, 7-8.30 p.m., Chapel of Mary, Mother of God. All youth and young adults are invited to join the Servants of the Pierced Heart of Jesus and Mary in worship, praise and adoration and prayer. No registration required.
• Aiming High – Florida Young Men’s Retreat: Friday, March 18, 4 p.m. – Sunday, March 20, 11 a.m. Animated by the Servants of the Pierced Hearts of Jesus and Mary Brothers and Priests for young men aged 18 to 35. This retreat will deepen the dignity and calling of all men and their call to holiness, purpose, sacrifice and service for the kingdom of God. To be placed on a waiting list, contact the Servants of the Pierced Hearts of Jesus and Mary Brothers and Priests at [email protected]
• Behold my Beloved Son, hear Him — Lenten Day Retreat: Tuesday, April 12, 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., St. John the Apostle Bldg. There are many voices out there these days and they all seem to be vying for our attention. On the second Sunday of Lent, we hear the Father’s voice urging us to listen to Jesus. Lent is an invitation to listen. Led by Fr. Anthony Aarons. $35. A light breakfast and lunch will be served.
• Good Friday Stations of the Cross for children: Friday April 15, noon-1:30 p.m., Salle Saint-Antoine de Padoue. Join us in San Pedro for Holy Week as we follow the Passion of Christ through activities and prayers for children. Free.
• Outdoor Stations of the Cross for Good Friday: Friday April 15, 3-4 p.m., Cross in front of the Salle Saint-Antoine de Padoue. In case of bad weather, the Stations of the Cross will take place in our Mary, Mother of God chapel. Join us for our annual outdoor Stations of the Cross as we follow the Passion of Christ.
Ministry of the Deaf:
• Mass signed by the Catholic parish of Ascension: Sunday, 9:30-10:45 am Sunday Mass signed. Ascension Parish, 2950 N. Harbor City Blvd., Melbourne. Coffee and donuts follow the mass. Kay Nowak, [email protected] https://www.ascensioncatholic.net/deaf-ministry.
• Ascension Catholic Parish Deaf Social: 10:45 am – 2 pm, fourth Sunday except public holidays, 2950 N. Harbor City Blvd., Melbourne. While COVID is active: Bring food, drinks, cutlery for your family. Contact Kay Nowak, [email protected] for more information on social distancing.