How to naturally increase sperm count
When it comes to men, the sperm count is an extremely important aspect of fertility. The concentration or number of sperm is what can help determine the quality of semen. Certain lifestyle choices and natural remedies can help support hormones that control sperm production, which can promote healthy sperm development and improve sperm count. You can increase their sperm count by eating a healthy diet, exercising regularly, quitting smoking, and reducing alcohol consumption.
In this article, we take a look at natural remedies, dietary changes, and some supplements that can improve sperm count.
1. In what ways can a man increase his sperm count?
Certain lifestyle changes and natural remedies can help support hormones that control semen quality, which can promote healthy sperm development and improve sperm count.
- Regular exercise– Besides being good for your general health, regular exercise can increase testosterone levels. Studies show that men who exercise regularly have higher testosterone than those who are inactive.
- Get enough vitamin C and D– Vitamins C and D are good for boosting immunity. These nutritional supplements help increase sperm count while reducing the number of deformed sperm.
- Avoid excessive alcohol and drug use– Drugs, tobacco and alcohol all have a range of short and long term health effects, including harmful effects on sperm production.
- Get enough zinc– Zinc is an essential mineral present in large quantities in foods of animal origin, such as meat, fish, eggs and shellfish. Consuming zinc is crucial for male fertility as it helps increase testosterone levels.
- Eat foods rich in antioxidants– Antioxidants help reduce the number of free radicals (molecules that damage your semen) in the body. Increasing the number of antioxidant foods in your diet can help increase sperm count.
- Take Ashwagandha– Ashwagandha is a medicinal plant with multiple health benefits. It can reduce anxiety and stress, and helps fight depression, increase testosterone levels in men.
- Wear loose clothing– Forget those tight briefs and skinny jeans if you want to increase your sperm count. Tight clothing can make your scrotum too warm, which can negatively impact sperm production.
2. What are the habits that people engage in that lead to low sperm quality and count?
Drug, alcohol and tobacco use– It affects the quality of semen, mainly by lowering testosterone, so the more you smoke, use drugs and drink alcohol, the more you lower your testosterone levels.
Take steroids – Steroids stop your body’s stimulus to produce testosterone because they trick your body into thinking that too much is already being produced. Muscle building steroids, injections, and supplements also cause hormonal imbalance and affect testosterone levels.
Obesity– Obesity rates are increasing and many people know that being overweight can adversely affect a person’s overall health. The higher a man’s body mass index (BMI), the more likely he is to have a low sperm count. Being overweight or obese as a man can also make it harder to conceive.
Emotional stress– Severe or prolonged emotional stress can interfere with the hormones necessary for the production of sperm.
Depression– Being depressed can negatively affect sperm concentration.
3. What change in food or diet can help improve sperm count and quality?
The quality of sperm is one of the main factors that affect fertility. Like any other organ in the human body, the reproductive system relies on the nutrients and vitamins supplied to it. Food can positively influence a person’s reproductive health. It can increase the production of testosterone thereby increasing sperm count as well as sperm motility and quality.
Here are some foods that can increase sperm count:
Eggs: Eggs are a healthy option for increasing sperm count because they are packed with protein. The nutrients in an egg help in the production of stronger, healthier sperm.
Spinach: Folic acid is an integral part of healthy sperm development. Leafy vegetables are a rich source of folic acid, and spinach is a great addition to include in your diet. Higher levels of folic acid also reduce the number of abnormal sperm in the semen, thus increasing the chances of successful sperm penetration into the egg.
Bananas: Vitamins such as A, B1, and C in bananas help the body make healthier and stronger sperm. The number of sperm also depends on these vitamins. Bananas are rich in these vitamins and contain a rare enzyme known as bromelain. This enzyme prevents inflammation and helps the body improve the quality and number of sperm.
Asparagus: Asparagus is a vegetable rich in vitamin C which has a number of positive effects on semen. It fights free radicals and protects testicular cells, paving the way for better sperm count, increased motility and sperm quality.
Dark chocolate: Dark chocolate is loaded with an amino acid called L-Arginine HCl which helps increase sperm count and volume. Consumption can improve sperm count to some extent.
Nuts: Nuts are a good source of healthy fats and proteins. Healthy fat is necessary for the production of the sperm cell membrane. These omega-3 fatty acids also help increase sperm volume by promoting blood flow to the testes. The arginine content of the walnut contributes to the increase in sperm count. The antioxidants found in nuts also help flush toxins out of the bloodstream.
4. Dietary supplements that help improve the quality of sperm?
Zinc: Research indicates that zinc can play an important role in sperm production.
Folic acid: When taken with zinc, folic acid appears to have a profoundly positive effect on sperm count.
Fenugreek: You can think of Fenugreek as a culinary herb, but it also has a wide variety of medicinal uses – including increasing sperm count.
5. Does stress affect the quality of semen? if so, in what ways can we counter this problem
Mental stress is known to have a detrimental effect on fertility, but there is little research on the impact of stress on sperm quality. There are ways to counter this problem.
Here are some simple ways to improve semen quality in stressful situations.
- Stay physically active and practice stress relaxation techniques
- Eat a healthy diet with fresh fruits and vegetables
- Maintain a healthy body mass index (BMI)
- Stop smoking and limit your alcohol consumption
- Try to stay cool, wear loose clothing, and avoid spas and saunas
- Check with your doctor before taking any new medicines that may affect sperm count and fertility
6. Does regular exercise help improve the health of her sperm?
Moderate exercise can also improve your mood and sperm count. So, to increase your sperm count and make it healthy, start exercising and eat a healthy diet full of vitamins and minerals.
7. Are masturbation and sperm count interrelated? If yes, how?
No, masturbation does not lead to a decrease in the quality and quantity of sperm, but too much of anything is bad in the long run both sexually and psychologically.
Published with contributions from Dr Gautam Banga who is a Reconstructive Urologist and Andrologist, UPS: Center for Reconstructive Urology and Andrology, Delhi NCR.