Men’s Style and Grooming by Yatan Ahluwalia: men at play
Decoding the lead look
Hair: Faded on the sides and uneven in between.
Eyebrows : Bushy and feathery in the center and at the ends.
Face: Trimmed, clean, crisp, well-defined two-day stubble.
Lips: Fresh and hydrated.
Others: Navy blue lounge wear pants.
Ten quick fixes to get lucky
1.Manscape: Depending on your personal preference or that of your partner, trim or tweeze hair as you go, where and when needed. You can use a hair clipper or hair removal cream. Removing excess hair will make your skin more sensitive to the touch and allow it to dry out when you sweat.
2. Beautiful Hands and Even Better Feet: Make sure nail tips are trimmed, filed, and smoothed so they don’t scratch. If you can, treat yourself to a good manicure and pedicure to make your hands and feet look and feel great.
3.Address Facial Hair: A clean look works best. Use a new blade for a close shave. Then use an aftershave balm or moisturizer. If you still prefer to sport a beard, make sure it’s been trimmed to look neat and well-groomed. Trim long, poky locks as they won’t feel good against your partner’s skin.
4. Target Extra Growth: Pluck and shape brows, especially the center and ends to open up the eye area and give your face an angled cut. Cut the long strands of hair sticking out from your nose and ears. When you get close, you don’t want your partner to see things they shouldn’t.
5.Care Face: Apply an effective face mask to remove dirt, sweat, grime and pollutants. Leave the mask until dry, then rinse. Follow this with a face scrub to remove dead skin, blackheads and give the skin a polished look. If you have oily skin, apply toner to a cotton ball and wipe it over your face, especially your forehead and nose. This gives the skin a perfectly clean look. Finish with a moisturizer.
6. Work the body: Use a fresh-smelling shower gel and avoid soaps that dry out the skin. Wipe well after a shower, then apply a light, fast-absorbing body lotion that may be fragrance-free or have an after-odor (no taste) that you and your date might like. Make sure it soaks into the skin before getting dressed so your skin feels soft, but not oily.
7. Style your hair: If you have time, get your hair cut or trimmed. Better yet, get a smoothing hair treatment to make your hair feel great when your date runs their fingers through it. Style your hair using a non-sticky styling product. Remember, you have to look desirable, so choose a style that isn’t too dramatic, but still makes you feel good and brings out your best features.
8. Smell good: Use a roll-on deodorant under your arms, then generously spray a water-based deodorant on your chest and back – directly on the skin, but from about 15cm away. Brush your teeth well so they look as clean and pristine as possible. Use mouthwash to kill any stale smells, especially those from tobacco, alcohol, and your last meal.
9. Eat well: Build up your stamina and energy by eating high-protein foods or herbal supplements so you don’t have to look for the “blue pill.” Stay hydrated by drinking enough water so you don’t smell bad when you sweat.
10.The final touch: Choose a good long-lasting sensual perfume. It should blend perfectly with your body’s natural chemistry. Apply one or two sprays each to your pulse points and neck. Do a head-to-toe self-grooming checkup, pack protection, lube, and whatever else you or your partner are passionate about!
A review of grooming products to use before date night
1. Vegetable protein
This plant protein powder is a blend of peas, brown rice, moong and quinoa. Available in mocha and caramel banana variants. Add to water or milk to build strength and endurance, when and as needed.
This three-step formulation has specific medicinal benefits and antifungal properties that help eliminate dandruff, control flaky appearance and reduce scalp inflammation. Leaves hair clean, frizz-free and very manageable.
3. Keratin treatment
This is not a home use product and you must visit a salon to have this treatment performed by a trained and trusted professional. It is best done on frizzy and damaged hair and is ideal for those of you with long or medium length hair. Test and check if there are any adverse effects before use.
4. Hair tonic
It is not an instant density product but you will get there slowly and surely. It claims to promote hair growth and reduce hair loss. However, it makes hair look fuller, thicker and healthier by working deep at the roots. Simply spray, then massage into the scalp.
The facial cleanser effectively cleanses and helps to have smoother and hydrated skin. It leaves the skin refreshed. Heavy face cream is light; and leaves the skin smoother, softer and with a visible glow. The natural toner cools and cleans both the surface and the pores. Use the eye cream (mature men only) at night, to lighten the area and prevent fine lines.
6. Multi-step facials
The antioxidant-based serum stimulates collagen production, reduces sun damage and helps restructure the skin. The Himalayan salt face scrub contains moisturizing oils that work effectively to polish the skin. Bio-Retinol Cream has a rich, creamy, non-greasy texture that easily penetrates the skin to reduce the signs of aging.
7. Electric toothbrush
This sleek, multi-function electric toothbrush has two brushing modes; daily cleaning (30,000 strokes/min) and gentle cleaning (20,000 strokes/min). Easy to use and cleans very effectively all around. Use AM and PM.
8. Face Mask
This face mask is excellent for fighting and reducing acne. It cleanses your skin and removes oil and dirt buildup. Vitamin C-rich orange powder provides an even tone and helps lighten and heal scars and acne marks.
9. Golden Facial
This gold leaf infused face mask has powerful anti-aging benefits, helping to firm, lift, brighten and calm the skin while giving it an opulent glow. Apply once a week or as needed.
10. Face scrub
This advanced anti-tan scrub helps exfoliate and remove dry, flaky skin. Its natural formula works well to remove stubborn blackheads and results in fresher, brighter skin.
11. Face moisturizer
This creamy emulsion rejuvenates the skin thanks to its nourishing mixture. It promotes a smoother and calmer complexion. The ingredients act as a moisturizer and keep the skin supple and soft. Use daily, on a clean face ideally just before bedtime.
12. Lip balm
This intensely nourishing lip formula brightens and restores your lips’ natural color. It’s infused with the goodness of fresh ingredients like pomegranate, rose extract, beeswax, almond oil, jaggery, kokum butter, and cold-pressed pure oils. Feels as good as it smells good.
13. Yogurt for the body
These body yogurts strengthen and hydrate the outer layer of the skin, have a non-sticky formulation, are easily absorbed upon application and leave a smooth, supple finish.
14. Bath Oil
These sensual bath oils pamper, nourish and hydrate your skin. Both have a strong, long-lasting fragrance. Apply right after your shower. Suitable for all skin types and all age groups.
15.Oil after bath
This body oil firms and soothes rough skin. Prevents premature aging while nourishing the skin and providing long-lasting hydration. Spray on your body after a bath.
This uplifting woody spicy scent has top notes of bergamot and cardamom with a refreshing masculine scent. Also contains amber, cedarwood and musk. Has a long lasting aroma.
Life + Style – Illuminate
Create the perfect ambiance with candles
These “truth bomb” candles with quirky messages create an uplifting mood for any date or occasion. Each variation was created with handpicked premium fragrances that were hand poured into reusable glass jars. The candles last a long time and will perfume the room before, during and even after your night of passion.
The author is a consultant and trainer in image, style, grooming and etiquette.
From HT Brunch, February 13, 2022
Follow us on twitter.com/HTBrunch
Join us at facebook.com/hindustantimesbrunch