Reputation, what they offer and alternatives
We include products that we think will be useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here is our process.
Hims is a telehealth company specializing in men’s sexual health issues and other conditions. It offers online consultations, treatment plans and support groups.
This article discusses Hims and its products and services in more detail before exploring the health benefits, risks, harms, and alternatives.
Please note that the author of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research based.
Hims has been in business since 2017 and offers treatments for:
The company aims to provide medical advice and treatment plans to people without the need to visit a medical clinic.
Hims says people must be at least 18 years old to use their services. He may also recommend certain products only for people aged 21 and over.
According to the company’s website, their drugs are approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). However, doctors can prescribe
Hims also mentions that its brands do not test their products and ingredients on animals.
In 2018, Hims launched Hers, a brand focused on women’s health.
At the time of publication, Hims had an average rating of 5.0 on their website and 4.2 on Trustpilot.
Positive reviews focus on the quality and effectiveness of the company’s products. Customers report that Hims informed them when their prescription was about to expire, so they had no problem renewing their prescription.
Most of the negative reviews are about customer service and shipping issues. Individuals mentioned that the company took too long to respond to their requests.
Below is a sample of the products and treatments offered by Hims.
Hims offers condoms to help reduce the risk of spreading infections. The company also sells water-based lubricants and vibrators which can enhance an individual’s sexual performance.
Erectile dysfunction (ED)
A 2014 study found that erectile dysfunction affects
Learn more about ED here.
When a person suffers from erectile dysfunction, doctors in Hims may prescribe:
- Sildenafil (Viagra): The active ingredient in Viagra which can treat erectile dysfunction. It improves the blood circulation in the penis so that the individual can have a longer lasting erection. It can take an hour to start working, so Hims recommends that individuals take 60 minutes before engaging in sexual activity.
- Tadalafil (Cialis): Tadalafil relaxes the blood vessels and improves blood flow to the penis. Hims says it can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours to start working.
- Avanafil (Stendra): A 2014 study notes that this new erectile dysfunction drug may improve erectile function in
less than 15 minutesand remains effective for up to 6 hours.
Premature ejaculation (PE)
The Urology Care Foundation states that people refer to PE as rapid or premature ejaculation. This is because an individual experiences ejaculation earlier than he would like during sexual activity.
Learn more about remedies for PE here.
Hims doctors may prescribe sertraline to delay ejaculation. However, the company says it is off-label because it does not have FDA approval. People can take it at the same time every day or as needed 4 to 8 hours before engaging in sexual activity.
Doctors may also suggest using Hims Premature Ejaculation Spray. People spray it on the most sensitive areas of the penis 5 to 10 minutes before having sex. It penetrates the skin without numbing the entire penis.
Hims also offers other services and treatments:
Skin care treatments
People can find anti aging and acne products on the Hims website, for example:
- Anti-aging cream: Contains tretinoin, which increases collagen to keep skin firm and elastic and reduces fine lines. Health experts say people who use tretinoin should wear sunscreen during the day. This is because the ingredient can increase the sensitivity of the skin to the sun.
- Good Night Anti-Wrinkle Cream: The company recommends that people apply this cream after cleansing their skin and applying other treatments such as tretinoin.
- Acne cream: A prescription product that can help prevent clogged pores, reduce inflammation, and keep skin hydrated.
Primary care treatments
People can get in touch with a Hims healthcare professional to discuss health symptoms and treatments without going to a medical clinic. The healthcare professional can send a prescription to a local pharmacy for the client to purchase their medication.
According to the Hims website, doctors can suggest treatment for:
Mental health treatments and support groups
Hims doctors can prescribe medication for mental health problems. They may suggest taking:
The company also offers support groups for people who want to discuss relationship concerns, anxiety, motivation, and insomnia.
Individuals can purchase proteins, powders, vitamins and teas from the Hims website, such as:
- Sleep tea: Promotes relaxation before a person goes to bed. This is due to one of its ingredients, chamomile, which can help promote drowsiness.
- Collagen protein powder: Supports bones, skin, tendons and muscles.
- Biotin gummy vitamins: These are gluten free and can help strengthen hair, nails, and skin.
Those interested in using the Hims services may also wish to view the competition.
Specializes in male health and helps people with erectile dysfunction, PE, hair loss issues, herpes and other health issues. It offers consultations, personalized treatment plans and unlimited follow-ups.
This platform offers online tours, personalized treatment plans, and drugs from accredited and verified wholesale distributors. It helps people with erectile dysfunction, hair loss, PE, cold sores or genital herpes. Individuals can also use Roman’s pharmacy network or another pharmacy of their choice.
This company helps people aged 18 and over who may require treatment for various health problems. Their consultation visits cost $ 25, but they offer a flat monthly fee for mental health support services. Lemonaid also provides health tests for people who may need to measure their blood sugar or cholesterol levels.
Eddie by Giddy
This brand produces wearable rings for people with erectile dysfunction to improve men’s sexual performance. Different sizes are available to suit different symptoms of erectile dysfunction and penile girth (girth).
iCliniq works with more than 3,000 physicians representing 80 specialties. It offers online tools to help people calculate their body mass index and blood volume, among other things.
People who may need urgent care and treatment should see a doctor immediately. This is because online businesses can have processing and service delays that depend on the location of the individual.
People should also consult a doctor before stopping prescribed treatments. Some medicines can cause serious side effects if people suddenly stop taking them.
Hims is a telehealth company that can help people with sexual health issues and other issues without going to a traditional clinic.
It also offers online consultations, personalized treatment plans and support groups.
People may want to consider exploring other telehealth companies and comparing their products and services with what Hims has to offer before planning an online visit.